Monday, December 5, 2011

Veritas Card #62 - Israel Divides into Two Kingdoms

Israel Divides into Two Kingdoms - 1 Kings 12, 2 Chronicles 10

   Around 931 B.C. King Solomon's reign came to an end. He had broken the first commandment by allowing his pagan wives to worship their gods. He helped to build temples for these false gods. God was not please with this action. Solomon disregarded the commandments that God had given to Israel. God said to Solomon, "Because you have done this, and have not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant. Nevertheless, I will not do it in your days, for the sake of your father David; I will tear it out of the hand of your son. However, I will not tear away the whole kingdom; I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of my servant David."
   There was a servant of Solomon's whose name was Jeroboam. God spoke through the prophet Ahijah and told Jeroboam that God would give him ten tribes of Israel to rule. Rehoboam, Solomon's son, became king after Solomon died. He was very harsh and made the burden of work of the  Israelites heavy. The tribes rebelled. The word of God that was spoken through Ahijah came to pass. Jeroboam ruled over Israel. There was a remnant of people who stayed faithful to Rehoboam though, and they declared their independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment