Friday, June 22, 2012

Today in History - June 22, 1775 - Congress Issues Continental Currency

Congress Issues Continental Currency - June 22, 1775

   Today in History, in the year 1775, American colonists issued paper currency for the Continental Congress to finance the Revolutionary War. $2 million in bills of credit were issued by Congress. The American revolutionaries lacked the funds to wage a prolonged war. In the end, the Continental failed, leaving the young country with a large war debt.
Sources: History.com-Continental Currency
Factmonster.com-Continental Currency

2 comments:

  1. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day! Get More Info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I am not very computer saavy, but I do think that by subscribing to the RSS should work. I would like to put more on my pages soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete